Saturday, August 22, 2009

Book Nook - The Final Haul


Books with a rusty patina are a wonderful gift for junkers.

While driving through a neighboring city the night before trash day, I spotted an enormous pile of books all tidy-like along the roadside. One problem; this particular city has a law that does not allow pick up of trash items without the owner's permission.


Unsure if the books were for a charitable organization, or if they truly were meant for the garbage man, I decided to go knocking. The sweetest elderly woman greeted me at the door and told the story of keeping a family friend's books at her home for years as a favor, until his passing earlier this year. She and her daughter chose a few books they liked, but didn't know what to do with the remaining. She made it clear she was THRILLED I stopped to inquire about them - even having her adult son help load them into my car.

Our Chrysler Pacifica's lease is at it's end and we are turning it in this Tuesday. It has served me well during my junk hauls over the last 3+ years, but it is now time to say goodbye. Thank you for one final AMAZING haul! You've done me proud.



As always, take care and keep on junking!

12 comments:

  1. Good grief - I can't believe the number of books you picked up. What an amazing curbside sight that must have been!! Good rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI CANDY IT'S ME :) GREAT BOOKS,YOU SHOULD MAKE SOME BIRDHOUSES WITH THEM. ARE YOU COMING TO QUAILCREST IN WOOSTER SEPT. 12TH, I THINK CATHY IS COMING, HOPE TO MEET YOU :) GIO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a riot girlfriend!! You're gonna have to let me in on what you're going to do with them (besides open up your own neighborhood library - ha ha!!)... Great haul - and the Pacifica has done its job for sure (even one last hurrah to Minnesota)!

    Take care, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That's wonderful!

    BTW.. I am scoping out a Pacifica for my next car... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful! I love books. Can't have enough. There is a sort of righteous dignity to them. By the way, I love your blog button. I've had it in my sidebar for awhile!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great haul!!!
    The back of my Pacifica has done me well for junking too... what are you getting next?
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mother Lode, to be sure! I once picked up a handfull of books from on top of a bag on trash day in Manhattan. I was visiting my daughter and was glad to have some reading material while she was at work. When I looked inside them later some were inscribed to R.L. Stein by the authors. Never thought I be picking a famous author's trash!

    Eileen
    http://ruralwisconsin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to start following you. On the other side of the coin, I need to keep up on what city doesn't allow this or I'll be asking to bail money.
    Take care
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marge - I was surprised too!

    It.Peasant - Thanks for stopping by. I won't be making the show but heard great things from Kathy! Best wishes!

    Kathy-Yes. Thought MN's haul was the last!

    Ang-TY for dropping in.Great to see you! FYI-LOVED our Pacifica. The rear warning beeps when backing up were quite handy. (A bit hard to see)

    Brenda-TY for snagging my button! Loved your description of books!

    Amy-We went econo route and bought a Ford Fusion car about 2 months ago. I already backed into our van in the driveway w/ it forgetting we had 3 cars until the Pacifica was turned in. Ggrrr. $750 damage to van - haven't gotten a quote for the car yet. Double ggrrrr!

    Eileen - Awesome story! Very cool.

    Karen-Hehe. FYI Beware of the city of Solon. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy, Candy, Candy..........I HAVE to move to your neck of the woods....can't believe the stuff you find curbside. I drive around all the time searching people's garbage (my husband and kids are horrified with this little habit!LOL), and all I find is ugly, ugly, ugly.
    Lucky you....these books are great.
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  11. You found the mother load for your last junking run with your Pacifica. Can't wait to see what you do with the books. My hubby would flip if I hauled these home. You must be married to a saint. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice find - I wish our city had a pick up day like yours. They used to but ended it about 5 years ago. I guess the good stuff goes to the landfill now , such a shame. Sue

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin