Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Heart Lucy

Have you ever come across an animal or pet that you immediately connect with or relate to in some way? Maybe that is how you chose your own pet. You were drawn to it and you knew he or she would be the perfect fit for your family. Well, it happened to me recently while flea marketing.

There was something about this old gal, Lucy, that I was completely enamoured with. So much so that I felt the need to stop her owners and ask if I could take a few photos of their baby. She reminded me a lot of my favorite childhood pet from the 70's named Lady Bird, in honor of former First Lady Claudia "Lady Bird" Johnson. Our Lady Bird was a Beagle-Basset mix, with identical features of a full-blooded Basset with the exception of only slightly shorter ears.

After being hit by a car when she was only a couple years old, we always knew Lady Bird was nearby due to the awkward little clickity clack sound of her toenails scraping against the pavement or hardwood floor. Her slight limp made her distinguishable from all the other dogs in the neighborhood.

Gosh, I loved her. Sadly, she needed to be put down at the age of 17 due to failing health. It was the first time I saw my dad cry.

So, yes. I felt a connection to Lucy as brief as the encounter may have been...but I truly did. She had a sweetness in her eyes that flooded me with memories from long ago.

A few weeks after meeting her, I was on a buying excursion and found this beautiful vintage paint-by-number of a sad-looking little Basset tucked away among other junk on a shop floor. Was it some sort of sign?



Well, I bought it and brought it home with me.

And sorry...it is not for sale.

As always, take care and keep on junking!

7 comments:

  1. Awwww, Lucy is a doll! Love the pic of her sitting up just like a little person. They are little people though, aren't they?
    Too cute!
    ~ Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy - Loved the story behind Lucy and your Lady Bird! :) We should have gotten a pic of you with her...

    Some things you just can't part with - and Lucy's a keeper!!

    Take care, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story of Lady Bird and Lucy! (when my childhood dog had to be put to sleep, I was a freshman in college, and my mom and brother said my dad cried so much and was so distraught that he could barely make it to the car to take her to the vet...that was the first time my mom ever saw him cry).

    I love that you found that painting after seeing Lucy! What a great find...it will remind you of Lady Bird now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a little love... and the tricks are quite impressive. I felt the same way when I found my beagle/fox terrier mix Abby. (we almost named her Lucy)

    Dogs just have a way of filling your soul with smiles, don't they. I have been known to cross the street just to pet a sweet puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet story! I am an animal person, for sure. I heart Lucy, too! ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that sitting up position. I don't blame you, I wouldn't sell it either.
    Take care
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled upon your blog looking for antique inspiration, and found your touching dog post. I'm a true blue dog lover, and have two Westies. There is a Basset in our neighborhood that my dogs love to visit. She is such a great dog, so kind and friendly. We will think of your Lady Bird when we see our neighborhood Basset!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin