Monday, August 16, 2010

No Cost Moss As Home Decor

We've been quite busy lately, preparing to relocate and all. One of the major parts of our move is getting our home prepared for this lovely real estate market of ours. Eep! Chris and I have been busting our tushies decluttering, cleaning, finishing landscaping projects and everything in between. You name it...we're doing it! We want to squeak every dollar that we can out of this house without spending a lot of money doing so.

Imagine my surprise, hearing Chris' claim of salvaging the brightest green stash of REAL moss found deep inside our home's gutters. Realizing he just finished cleaning them out, I never thought they could produce such bounty!

Note: Most do not produce these types of "goods" when they are cleaned on a more regular basis. (Not a knock on my husband...we just seem so busy to think of these things sometimes.)


Once I saw all that I had to work with, I gathered a couple containers from around the house to use for my budget-friendly plantings. Nice!

To make it easier for drainage and cleanup, I inserted small glass dishes inside the pots. They were then filled with mini pebbles and rich home grown soil derived from leaf compost from our gutters.

Then, the planters were topped off with that gorgeous green moss my husband saved for me. Wow! I love them.

And him.

It's nice having someone that "gets" you, isn't it?


So, what do you think? Do you try to use nature's goodness in your decor? I'd love to hear how you include it in your home.

Taking junk to another level.

5 comments:

  1. Love the moss.

    http://mixedmediummusings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect idea!! Thanks for sharing, this inspires me to think of staging as a fun project...because right now in the packing up decluttering stage it is not fun!=)
    Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Candy,
    Amazing news about your move....I'll have to look on a map to see how far that is! What an adventure and so glad you will have some thrift stores to shop in your new home! Can't wait to follow along on your adenture!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the moss! it's so simle and sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! I'm going to go find some moss before it's all gone for the winter!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin