Monday, February 22, 2010

$0.99 African Violets Never Looked So Good

"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." - Robert Leighton

Who can resist a cheap little $.99 flower from the grocery store? As you can see, I cannot. After bringing home a fantastic jar from the thrift store recently, I thought it could be the perfect haven for the little white African violet.

I filled the jar with clearance polished stones from Home Depot, removed the white pretties from the ugly yellow plastic container from whence it came, and placed the floral configuration on top of the rock. Although I am uncertain how long my botanical beauty will survive, I will make darn sure my $0.99 investment lasts as long as it possibly can.

Check out the "C" jar, given to me by the lovely and talented Sue Whitney of JUNKMARKET Style. It is probably one of my favorite pieces.

Interested in time pieces? Kathy can direct you to where her clock stash is. I purchased this amazing face from her with a handful of other ticking treats last year. Trust me, her inventory does not disappoint!

Scrolly, creamy white metal thingies make anything look good, don't you think? These three stands were a thrift store find that I had plans to sell. Unfortunately I fell in love with them before they could get out the door.


So if you have an extra buck or two, I challenge you to make something pretty! And don't be surprised that something so simple and inexpensive can actually brighten your day!

13 comments:

  1. Great idea! Could use a little spring right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I STILL love the white scrolly things!!! I remember when you first taunted me with them a couple of months ago! heehee

    I am SO needing some spring - it was GORGEOUS here yesterday... today? Yuck clouds and cold cold cold! I think I will go see how long I can make some flowers stay alive!

    Happy Monday! I love all of your photos!
    ;-) robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea-I have some little primroses sitting on my kitchen windowsill in the orange plastic pot. Think I will tranfer them to a jar like this, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy, your vignettes are so pretty! Love how you group things!
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweeeeeeet

    As always, take care
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, so lovely.

    Dang, you're a great picture taker too.

    Are you going to the JM/Art & Arch deal in Minneapolis in May? I am thinking even with a high school graduate I may be able to swing it!
    You gonna be there?

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candy,
    I love this idea. I have some great glass jars that would be perfect for this. Thanks!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies. Simple and cheap is the best, isn't it? And it sounds like you all have the perfect jar to make your own!

    Andrea - That's the plan! I'm waiting on a few more details before I can fully commit, however it's looking mighty good! I would love to meet you, Cassie and the rest of the Junk Girls. It would be one of the highlights of my trip!

    Let's get Minnesota bound!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a lovely idea! I love the look of the white violet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly prettied up your violets. I got me a little pot of them the other day also just to try to bring in something springy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super idea, so sweet and simple. You have inspired us to bring a little spring into our homes. Hey, the trees are blossoming here in the Seattle area!!!!We will try to get up pic up on our blog to show ya'll!
    Linda & Dixie
    The Funky Junk Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your pictures, Candy. And boy do I need spring flowers! I am so sick and tired of winter. That one jar looks a familiar, too ;) I would love for all you girls to make the trip in May. It's gonna be a good one! Yahoo!

    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a gorgeous display! Bring on the spring!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin