Wednesday, October 29, 2008

This Old Chair


I purchased this chair for $5.00 at a thrift store and will never forget what an elderly man said to me as I was lugging it out the door. "That's some special chair", he said. I replied thank you and knew he was right.






Unfortunately time got away from me and it remained in my basement for the last four years. In that time we had a flood in our basement, had garage sales, and we've sold and bought a home which required a pretty extensive move. I still hung onto this chair...possibly because of what that gentleman said to me while standing with the door in his hand, waiting for me to pass through. The kind man that he was.

Days before the Anniversary party I decided to bring it front and center for all to see. I sanded it and added a couple coats of my newfound friend, black satin Krylon spray paint, which Home Depot carries endless supplies of. It's the perfect shade and finish and goes on so smoothly!



After lightly distressing the wood, I was going for that Ethan Allen look ;), I then stapled a leftover portion of a canvas drop cloth I had from another project and placed it over a fluffy pillow for the seat I got at Joann's using a 50% coupon. I added a silk-covered down pillow from Target for 75% off and used as a back cushion. For now I am leaving the burlap as is.


I had compliments at the party including someone that said they liked my "funky" furniture and couldn't put anything together unless they pointed it out of a Pottery Barn catalog.

Aren't these barley twist details to die for! Make sure you enlarge my photos to see that gorgeous carved detail on the wood!



C.T. was really happy I finally did something with it and said the black paint looked great. Maybe one day I'll learn how to do upholstery the "right way", but for now I'm happy with my special chair.

I am checking my projects off one at a time. Finally I feel like I'm getting something accomplished!

Have a wonderful weekend and make sure you find some good junk!

Candy

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah. Well worth holding onto during floods, famine and move. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You done good on that chair, Woman! It was worth holding on to!

    The Texas Woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!

    And Cher thanks for stopping by! I recognize you as one of Mindy's buds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chair Candy. The barley twist details are awesome and I love how you painted it black.
    Thanks for the details about what you used too. I will definitely get that the next time I'm painting something black.
    Last week I had a horrible time with 3 painted furniture projects I thought I was doing for Junk Market style site. What a joke! I had a disaster on my hands and will never use that paint again. I finally ended up buying chocolate brown spray paint and in 1 hour had 2 of the pcs. painted. I had spent about 8 hours prior to this with the awful paint that wasn't working out. Too funny! Sometimes simple is best, like with spray paint. I found out the hard way.
    Upholstering isn't bad at all. Mostly just need an electric stapler to tack the fabric. I like doing smaller easier pcs., but your chair would be quite simple to tackle. You should give it a try. My mil talked me into doing a couch for my first project. ha! It was out of necessity at the time, but wouldn't do it again.
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gretchen! You're welcome about the paint suggestion. I hear you on horrible times with painting furniture. I think I read about Krylon spray paint in Country Home or Living and have used it ever since. Love it!

    Thanks for the inspiring words regarding reupholstery. I can't imagine jumping right into a sofa project! Sheesh.

    Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you on JUNKMARKET.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin