Monday, November 10, 2008

Barn Sale and a Timely Rusty Pulley


Photo courtesy of Country Living magazine.

I was sad I wasn't able to make the trek as planned to meet Joan and Kathy, some blogging friends from the JUNKMARKET site due to my kindergartner coming home with a slight fever on Friday. Bummer. I thought my junking weekend was over.

Late Saturday though, I was able to get away to look at a leaded glass window from Craigslist. I arrived to find a crack in one of the panes so that was a no go, however I came across my very first barn sale on the way home! That may not be a big deal to most of you but it is to me. Unfortunately, until this Saturday, I had only had the pleasure of thrift stores, tag and estate sales but never a real barn! What fun! Where were my funds when I needed them though????

With little money in my pocket I was still able to come away with a few things. Anyone want to guess what this thing is that I bought? The gentlemen working the sale couldn't help me.




It is nice and solid, stands 43" tall and the top spins when you turn the center wooden pole. What can I use it for? The top piece is very warped so I will have to replace or cover it...possibly with aluminum flashing? Please leave your creative ideas on want to do. I'm sure many of you could come up with something.




Loved this pretty little milk glass cake pedestal. The floral design is worn away on top however I really liked the orange and black trim on the pedestal. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? The owner of the home was there and he commented that he always loved that piece. Awww, that tugged at my heartstrings since he was probably thinking of his mother, the person who's estate this was.



Old seashells can be used anywhere. It's always hard to pass them up. Plus, I actually loved the neutral linen-looking box it came in with a vintage label inside.



And a $2 vintage ceramic lamp is always a good deal. It's a pretty classic style which is being reproduced by the thousands today. The brown will fit in just about every room in my home.

Now about that "timely" rusty pulley I mentioned earlier. I opened my December issue of Country Living magazine on Friday to find the perfect holiday wreath for me. Did you see that gorgeous wreath at the beginning of my post? Well I loved the moss, evergreen and eucalyptus that was used, however what truly caught my junker eye was the rusty metal piece used as the hanger. Go back and take a look.



Lo and behold, I find this rusty pulley at the barn sale and asked the worker how much they wanted for it. The man looked it over and said "you can just have it". Woohoo! Score! I guess he wasn't into rusty junk pieces, huh? So now you will all see my beautiful wreath put in place in the coming weeks. I'll be sure to post and show it off a bit!

Don't forget to share your ideas with me! Have a great week and keep on junking!

10 comments:

  1. I felt sorry for you, stuck at home with a sickly kiddo, but I got over it when I saw your great finds! Lucky you.

    I used to have bar stools that the top wound up and down just like yours does. They were real handy in my photo studio when I took family portraits and needed to make people higher and lower.

    The Texas Woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...the stand/stool/thing. I'm not sure about the top, but the rest of the piece looks like it would fit in a corner nicely. Wanna paint it a color of your choice (white) and elevate a small Christmas tree on it? Place greenery or Christmas ornaments on the little shelf underneath with holly wrapped around the pole? Wow. I think this is the most primitive piece I have seen you pick up. It has promise! Keep us updated. ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! I love the milk glass stand. Good job at that barn sale...hopefully you'll come across lots more barn sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candy!

    What great finds and OMGOSH! the rusty pulley is awesome! That wreath will look fabulous!

    and thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things after having a new baby.

    *muah*
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies.

    Mindy ~ I too think it is very prim however like you suggested, I think a painting is in order to spruce it up. I'm leaning toward the white you suggested so I can use it for the holidays (pretty idea so thanks), or I might do black so I can sit it on my landing on the stairs. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore that pulley and wreath! Brilliant!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really neat finds! Love that first picture of the wreath and rusty hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Candy,

    Great finds as usual. Can't wait to see your finished wreath!

    Take care,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. the table/stool you found looks like a piece a sculptor friend of mine uses...
    makes a great lant stand, too...put some sort of climbing thing...ivy of some sort, on the bottom shelf and let it work it's way up...little finishing nails along the pole for the plant to grab....
    I wouldn't paint it...clean it up and add a coat of high gloss shelac....maybe streak a bit of off white on it first if you want to lighten up the look...
    found your site just wandering around...cool!
    I've been a junker forever...
    Even got locked into our town dump site once because I was inside a dumpster and no one saw me...
    Anyway, it was nice to 'discover' you!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin